Friday, June 22, 2012
Why so certain?
I've heard from a number of Christians that there is no possibility of them changing their views. That I am wasting my time in even trying to discuss it with them.
This seems to me to be a fairly counter productive position to take, and seems almost designed to stop further conversation.
Even accepting that, however, I still find that I want to know why this person is so certain. What is so convincing that the person is willing to state, unequivocally, that nothing could change their mind.
So, what is the answer?
That's what this post is for - you tell me. Educate me as to why you have such certainty. Theists and atheists alike (and agnostics, and anyone in between) - if you are certain of your position, and/or believe you could not be argued out of it, explain why? Or, tell me of reasons you have heard from others, regardless of their beliefs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I enjoyed reading (many of) your posts. Perhaps you have stopped posting. You seem especially knowledgeable of ancient history, a true rarity. I've started a blog, Ideas are Physical. Take a look and post comments as desired.
As to your current post, Why So Certain?, it seems to me it is not reason but emotional investment that grants certainty. But certainty based on emotional investment can be just as true for atheists as for theists. Thomas Kuhn ignored as much as Apostle Thomas.
And where have all the sociologists gone? So far I can't find them on the web, anyway. Perhaps as a historian, you know where they are. Other than Philip Kitcher (who doesn't seem to be 'on the web', where are all the rest? Do both the materialistic atheist as well as the religious-based theist think cultural history is now moot?
The one thing that does seem certain, is that there is no certainty. It matters not how committed one may be to a particular worldview. Well, diversity may be (at least temporarily) certain. Peace out.
Post a Comment